This double pom pom hat pattern is a great advanced beginner project for anyone who is learning how to knit in the round.
I wanted to share with you an easy hat to knit, that has not one but two pom poms!
This hat is perfect for the colder weather, as it has been knit with super bulky yarn, in one of my favourite colours – fisherman (Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick).
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used…
I made the hat using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in fisherman and for the poms, I used the same yarn in the colour barley.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn for the hat and less than one skein for the poms.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Hat Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items/hats for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
There are also hat patterns for women, men, baby and kids in the hat pattern library.
You may also like these free patterns for adult-sized hats:
Double Pom Pom Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult woman
- Hat length lying flat w/o pom = 9 inches
- Width lying flat = 8.5 inches
- To fit a head with circumference size – around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman 099
- 1 skein or scraps in a coordinating colour for the poms – I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Barley.
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards. / Yarn weight guide
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P = Purl
- PM = Place marker
- M1 = Make 1 stitch
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 38 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: Knit
- 2nd rnd: K1, P1 (Rib)
- Complete another 5 rounds of K1, P1 ribbing.
- Round 7: Knit
- Repeat round 7 (knit every round) until the work measures 8′′ inches from the cast on edge.
Decrease as follows >
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make two pom pom’s and stitch securely either side of the ‘hole’ that you can see in the middle of the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
I used a clover pom pom maker for the poms but there are many tutorials out there on other methods.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo