This easy beanie hat pattern is a great advanced beginner project for anyone who is learning how to knit in the round.
Looking for the ultimate cosy winter hat? This is it!
With the perfect amount of stretch and slouch, the Aphrodite hat tops off the snow bunny look with elegance and comfort.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Broken Rib Hat Pattern
The basic beanie shape is enhanced with a classic broken rib stitch pattern and finished with a fluffy large pom.
I made the hat using Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman and knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ needles.
As I knit this hat on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
Beanie Hat Pattern
The hat is super soft and squishy and knits up super fast on big needles.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
See the free pattern below, or you may purchase the inexpensive ad-free, PDF printable pattern in my shop HERE.
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Skill Level – Advanced beginner
Size – Women’s medium
Finished measurements – laying flat and unstretched = 18 inches circumference / 9 inches long w/out pom.
Gauge – 8 sts and 8 rounds in 2 inches
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM Place marker
- M1 = Make 1 stitch
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman 099
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards. / yarn weight guide
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
- Cast on > 40 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K1, P1 to the end of the round.
- 2nd rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- Repeat the two rows above until the work measures 8.5″/9″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
I love seeing your finished projects!