Easy Beanie Hat Pattern | The AphroditeTHIS ARTICLE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT SUPPORT HANDY LITTLE ME CONTENT AND FREE PATTERNS.
This easy beanie hat pattern is a great advanced beginner project for anyone who can knit in the round.
Looking for the ultimate cozy winter hat? This is it!
With the perfect amount of stretch and slouch, the Aphrodite hat tops off the snow bunny look with elegance and comfort.
Please scroll down to view the free knitting pattern or grab the ad-free printable PDF from my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches to create texture, there is also decreasing in shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
You can view more free hat knitting patterns here.
You can also view free crochet hat patterns here.
How do you knit a beanie with straight needles for beginners?
If you are looking for a simple beanie to make for beginners that is knit flat with two straight needles, then take a look at my step-by-step pattern here – How To Knit A Hat With Straight Needles.
The Broken Rib Stitch
The basic beanie shape is enhanced with a classic broken rib stitch pattern and finished with a fluffy large pom.
- The broken rib stitch is a variation of ribbing.
- This is a kind of false rib – with only every other row ribbed.
- It lies flat and has a different look on each side of the fabric.
To work the broken rib stitch you will work the following:
Worked in the round:
Knit according to this stitch pattern:
Round 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to end of the round.
Round 2: Knit.
Repeat these 2 rounds for the pattern.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the Aphrodite easy beanie hat using super bulky weight yarn (06) – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman 099.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
The best yarns to use for this pattern are the Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarns from Lion Brand.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to knit in the round.
The Aphrodite Hat Knitting Pattern
Purchase the inexpensive ad-free, PDF printable pattern in my shop here.
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- There is no brim, the hat is not turned up or over.
- You can substitute using the circular needles for dpns if you wish.
- You can substitute the yarn pom pom for a faux fur pom pom.
- For an adult large hat cast on please view this hat pattern.
- You can make the length longer if you want to create slouch hats.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy (Advanced beginner)
Size of the finished hat
- Adult woman (adult medium)
- Hat length lying flat w/o pom = 9.5 inches
- Width lying flat = 9.5 inches
- Circumference head size – of around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
Learn more about creating a gauge swatch here – How to measure gauge in knitting.
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman 099
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky/Super chunky yarn/14-ply yarn weight
- Yarn weight guide
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on 40 sts, join in the round, and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st round: K1, P1 to the end of the round.
- 2nd round: Knit to the end of the round.
- Repeat the two rounds above until the work measures 8.5″/9″ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely with a knot.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating color.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the knitted hat pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.