This hat knitting pattern is an easy project for an advanced beginner knitter.
Is there anything that shouts take me to the slopes more than a super cozy neutral knitted beanie?
This classic hat elevates a simple beanie to a more snow bunny-worthy accessory.
Don this cozy and chunky hat and think of yourself going off to a ski resort at the weekend…
Please scroll down to view the free pattern or purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF in my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy knitted hat pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit stitches and purl stitches, you will also complete simple decreases to shape the top of the hat.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the Athena hat using a super bulky weight (06) yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in the color wheat.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
- How to knit in the round.
Hat Knitting Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
This has a simple rib stitch brim with the main body of the hat knit in the round to look like stockinette stitch.
This would make a great gift to friends or family members or to donate.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy (advanced beginner)
- Adult medium.
- Hat length lying flat w/o pom = 9 inches
- Width lying flat = 9 inches
- To fit a head circumference size of around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in wheat.
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular knitting needles
- To complete the decreases you may need to switch from circular needles to dpns (double-pointed needles) or use the magic loop method.
- Pompom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx – Approximately
- Beg – Begin(ning)
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- M1 – Make 1 stitch
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 38 sts, join in the round, and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: P1, K3, P1 – rep to the end of the round.
- Repeat the round above until the work measures 2.5′′ from the cast on edge.
- Next round: Knit
- Continue to knit every round until the hat measures 8.5′′ or 9′′ from the cast-on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating color.