This hat knitting pattern is great to make if you are a beginner or more advanced knitter.
Is there anything that shouts take me to the slopes more than a super cosy neutral knitted beanie?
This classic hat elevates a simple beanie to a more snow bunny worthy accessory.
Don this cosy and chunky hat and think of yourself going off to a ski resort at the weekend…
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used…
I made the Athena hat using a super bulky weight (06) yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in the colour wheat.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Any super bulky weight yarn 06 will be okay to use for this pattern.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Hat Knitting Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult woman
- Hat length lying flat w/o pom = 9 inches
- Width lying flat = 9 inches
- To fit a head with circumference size – around 22-26 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm.
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in wheat.
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards. / yarn weight guide
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM Place marker
- M1 = Make 1 stitch
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 38 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: P1, K3, P1 – rep to the end of the round.
- Repeat the round above until the work measures 2.5′′ from the cast on edge.
- Next round: Knit
- Continue to knit every round until the hat measures 8.5′′ or 9′′ from the cast on edge.
- Decrease as follows >
- K2tog – rep to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo