In this post, you will see a free crochet pumpkin pattern for beginners.
This free crochet pattern uses super bulky yarn and a 9mm/(US M/N 13) crochet hook.
Scroll down to view the free pattern or you can grab your printer-friendly, ad-free PDF here.
How Do You Crochet A Pumpkin For Beginners?
You will use a simple stitch called single crochet to make a rectangle which will then be turned into a pumpkin.
There is a video tutorial below that will help you along.
This quick crochet project is an excellent start if you have never crocheted anything before.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is basic and great for any beginner.
Free Crochet Pumpkin Pattern For Beginners
Grab the crochet pumpkin pattern bundle here with 5 different crochet stitch patterns.
Skill Level – Basic
Make cute fall decor with these chunky crochet pumpkins.
Ideal for beginners these free crochet pumpkins are perfect for anyone looking to pick up a hook for the first time.
Make them in lots of different colors for Halloween (like orange) or Thanksgiving using super bulky yarn.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Grab The Crochet Pumpkin Pattern Bundle Here
There is a right-handed step-by-step video tutorial on my YouTube channel here.
This will show you how to create and make up the pumpkin.
- Finished rectangle size – H 6 inches x W 8 inches.
- Finished pumpkin size – Circumference = 13 inches x H 6 inches.
- 6.6 Sts / 8 rows in 4″ (10x10cm) in single crochet.
- Gauge is not important for this project.
The pattern is written using US crochet terms and abbreviations.
- CH – Chain
- Cont – Continue
- SC – Single crochet
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- St(s) – Stitches
- CH 18, turn,
- Row 1: 1 SC into the 2nd CH from hook, cont to SC into every CH to the end of the row, turn,
- Row 2: CH 1, 1 SC in each st to end, turn,
- Rep row 2 until the piece measures 6 inches in length.
- Cut yarn and secure the end.
You can watch a right-handed video tutorial on my YouTube Channel showing you how to create and make up the pumpkin here.
You can also view my crochet pumpkin video tutorial playlist here.
- Step 1 – Fold the piece in half and seam to create a tube using the long tail (thread the darning needle/yarn needle) using the mattress stitch.
- Step 2 – Sew a running stitch through the edge (weaving in and out of the top stitches and the next st) and pull tight to gather up (this pulls the bottom of the pumpkin together).
- Step 3 – Close the hole and secure it.
- Step 4 – Stuff with the fiberfill/poly-fil.
- Step 5 – Once it has been stuffed and made into a pumpkin shape – cut another length of yarn (around 12+ inches) thread your needle again and do another running stitch through the top of the pumpkin and pull tight to close.
- Step 6 – Secure and weave in any loose ends.
- Step 7 – Glue a cinnamon stick (with a hot glue gun) into the hole in the center of the top of the pumpkin to create a pumpkin stem.
- Step 8 – Cut a length of twine and tie in a bow around the cinnamon stick.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the crochet pumpkins, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work!