In this post, you will see a slouchy knit beret pattern.
This beret is the perfect addition to your fall/winter wardrobe!
Scroll down to view the free pattern or you can purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF here.
Knit A Beret With Straight Needles
This beret is knit flat with a fisherman’s rib stitch back and forth on straight needles.
It is then seamed using an invisible seam, the mattress stitch.
This hides the seam so you can’t see it at all, only on the inside.
The yarn I used for this chunky knit beret
The hat is really easy for anyone who is new to knitting and wants to make something amazing for themselves or to gift!
I used The Wool from We Are Knitters in the color, Bordeaux.
This yarn works well on sizes 12mm (US 17) and 15mm (US 19) needles.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should also know how to purl.
- You can see help for seaming using the mattress stitch here.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Slouchy Knit Beret Pattern
The Bordeaux Beret Knitting Pattern will allow you to create a slouchy super chunky beret with a pom-pom on top.
This beret is knit flat – back and forth on straight needles and then seamed.
You can view the chunky Celtic cable knit sweater pattern here (ochre).
You can view the chunky cable knit sweater pattern here (forest green).
Skill Level – Easy (Advanced Beginner)
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
- In all product listings please credit Handy Little Me (Louise Bollanos) as the designer.
- To fit a regular-sized head (around 22 inches).
- Diameter – 10 inches/26 cms
Gauge – 10×10 cm/4×4 inches= 4 sts/6 rows using larger needles in Fisherman’s Rib.
The Supplies You Need
- Super bulky/Super chunky/14 ply yarn.
- We Are Knitters – The Wool (200g/87 yds/80m) in Bordeaux x 1 ball.
Pom Pom Maker – Clover size 2.5 inches/65mm
- Beg – Beginning
- Cont – Continue
- CO – Cast on
- Foll – Following
- K – Knit
- K3tog – Knit the next 3 stitches together
- P – Purl
- P1B – Purl one stitch below
- P3tog – Purl the next 3 stitches together
- Patt – Pattern
- SL1K – Slip one stitch knitways
- SL1P – Slip one stitch purlways
- St – Stitch
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- RS – Right side
- WS – Wrong side
With 12mm (US 17) needles cast on 32 sts.
- Row 1 (RS): *P1, K1* rep from * to end.
- Row 2 (WS): *P1, K1* rep from * to end.
- Rep last 2 rows – once more.
Change to 15mm (US 19) needles and work in patt as follows:
- Row 1 (RS): SL1P, K1, *P1B, K1* rep from * to end.
- Row 2: (WS): SL1P, K1, *P1B, K1* rep from * to end.
- Rep these 2 rows 3 times more.
Keeping continuity of patt – shape as follows:
- Next row: *Patt 4, P3tog, Patt 4, K3tog* – rep from * to end. (24sts)
- Work 1 row.
- Next row: Patt 3, K3tog, Patt 3, K3tog, Patt 3, K3tog, Patt 6. (18 sts)
- Work 1 row.
- Next row: Patt 3, K3tog, Patt 3, K3tog, P3tog, Patt 3. (12 sts)
- Work 2 rows.
- Next row: Patt 3, K3tog, P3tog, Patt 3. (8 sts)
- Work 1 row.
- Next row: Patt 3, Patt 2. (6 sts)
- Work 1 row.
- Break yarn and thread through the rem sts, draw up tightly and fasten off securely.
- Using a flat seam – the mattress stitch – seam up the hat and weave in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom in matching yarn and stitch to the top of the hat, securing it in place.
- If you need help to seam, you can view this blog post here – The Mattress Stitch.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the beret, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook group and share a photo.
I’d love to see your work.