This easy men’s hat pattern would make a wonderful project for an advanced beginner knitter.
The knitted beanie hat has a great fit, which you can make longer if you want extra slouch.
I wanted to make and share a hat pattern that is super quick to knit and warm to wear!
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used
I made the hat using Rico Design Creative Melange Chunky Yarn in grey 07 using two strands knit together.
This yarn is really good to work with and comes in a range of beautiful colours.
I love how the colours are self-striping and the yarn has a nice texture to it.
Not only is the hat cosy but it is warm too.
Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use – knit with a single strand.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
The Fotios Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
Hat lying flat and unstretched – Height = 10 inches / Width = 10.5 inches
Gauge – 5 sts in 2 inches
The Supplies You Need
- 2 skeins of Rico Design Creative Melange Chunky in grey 07, which if you knit 2 strands together is suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Substitute yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Grey Marble
- Super bulky weight (06)– 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Please note – you may have to change your needles for the decreases of the hat if working on the circulars becomes too tight.
- This would mean using a set of size 10 mm double-pointed needles (DPNs).
- If you do not have those, you could use a 60cm/24′′ cable and use the magic loop technique.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – Cast on
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 44 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Rep round 1 and cont to knit in K2, P2 ribbing until work from CO edge measures 2 inches.
- Next round – Knit
- Cont to knit every round until the work from the CO edge measures 9 inches.
- 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog to last stitch, K1. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- 2nd rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Other men’s hat patterns you may like;
- Mariner’s Hat Pattern
- Free Men’s Hat Pattern – The Adonis
- Beanie Hat Pattern – The Diomedes
- Men’s Hat Pattern – The Heracles
- Leopard print Hat Pattern – The Leonidas
- Men’s Hat Pattern – The Hektor
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo