This mariner’s hat knitting pattern will work up into the perfect ribbed beanie!
The hat is stretchy as it is knit all in the rib stitch, so will fit a variety of head sizes.
You can make it with a turned-up cuff, or wear it with a bit more slouch.
Scroll down for the free pattern or you can grab your printer-friendly, ad-free PDF here.
An Easy Knit Beanie
The hat pattern is easy to make, with advanced beginner knitters in mind.
Using knit and purl stitches, you will create ribbing, learning to knit in the round and it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
This knitted hat would take you around an hour or two to make (depending on how fast you knit!) and will be a cozy addition to the colder weather.
The Mariner’s Hat Design Inspiration
The style of this hat was inspired by a traditional British seaman’s cap.
Also known as a ribbed watchman’s hat, the design is made so that the hat has a snug fit and the brim turns up to keep the ears warm.
Great to makeup and gift, this hat is super easy to knit and will be well received by loved ones, friends and charities.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the hat using Classic Alize Lanagold yarn in dark grey and knit on size 5.5 mm (US 9) 16″ circular needles.
The yarn I used is a medium weight yarn (04), so you can substitute this with any worsted, Aran or 10 ply yarn.
This was knit up quite quickly and used only one skein of yarn.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Free Men’s Knit Hat Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items/hats for men, please take a look at the other patterns in the men’s knitting pattern library.
There are also hat patterns for women, men, baby and kids in the hat pattern library.
You may also like these free patterns for men’s hats:
- Free Men’s Hat Pattern – The Adonis
- Easy Men’s Hat Pattern – The Fotios
- Men’s Hat Pattern – The Heracles
- Leopard print Hat Pattern – The Leonidas
- Men’s Hat Pattern – The Hektor
- Beanie Hat Pattern – The Diomedes
Mariner’s Hat Knitting Pattern
The Mariner’s cap knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
Gauge – 14 sts x 20 rounds = 4×4″/10×10 cm in 2×2 ribbing.
- Baby, Toddler, Child, Adult
- Hat lying flat and unstretched (adult size) – Height = 12 inches / width = 6 inches
The Supplies You Need
- Any medium (04) yarn (worsted/Aran/10 ply) 100g
- I used 1 skein of Alize Lanagold Classic in 521
- You can purchase Alize yarns from YarnStreet or on Etsy.
- Substitute it with – Cascade 220 Superwash Aran.
- Yarn weight guide
- 5.5mm (US 9) 16″ circular knitting needles
- Please note – you may have to change your needles for the decreases of the hat if working on the circulars becomes too tight.
- This would mean using a set of size 5.5 mm double-pointed needles (DPNs).
- If you do not have those, you could use a 60cm/24′′ cable and use the magic loop technique.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – Cast on
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- P2tog – Purl two stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- CO Baby – 56 sts / Toddler – 64 sts / Child – 72 sts / Adult – 80 sts, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- Round 1: K2, P2 (2 x 2 rib)to the end of the round.
- Rep round 1 – K2, P2 every round until hat measures – Baby – 9 inches / Toddler – 10 inches / Child – 10.5 inches / Adult – 11 inches from the co edge.
Shape crown (decrease):
- K2, P2tog, to end of rnd
- K2tog, P1, to end of rnd
- K1, P1, to end of rnd
- K2tog, to end of rnd
- K2tog, to end of rnd
- Cut yarn and sew through the rem sts and pull tight.
- Secure and weave in any loose ends.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo