This chunky men’s hat knitting pattern is a relatively easy pattern and can introduce you to working with two yarns.
The knitted beanie hat would also make a great gift and knits up quick!
This hat would take you around an hour or two to make (depending on how fast you knit) and will be a stylish addition to any winter wardrobe.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
There is also stranded colourwork in the pattern, this means that you will knit with more than one colour.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Yarn I Used To Knit The Beanie Hat
I made the hat using Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in 436 grey and 433 white.
Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use.
Alternatively, you can use any yarn that can be knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles.
You will need a super bulky weight yarn 06 or super chunky if you are in the UK.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Fair Isle knitting, which also known more accurately as stranded knitting, is a technique for working two (or more) colours of yarn in the same row.
The colour changes in Fair Isle are close together, as this allows you to simply carry the yarn you aren’t knitting with across the back of the piece as you go.
You will pick up each strand as you need it and this leaves a strand of yarn on the inside of the work.
The Heracles Men’s Hat Knitting Pattern
The hat knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Finished measurements – laying flat and unstretched = approx – 20 inches circumference / 11 or 12 inches long.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn (in dark grey – I used YarnArt Alpine Alpaca in 436 grey and 433 white) and 1 skein or a scrap of white suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Substitute yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Grey Marble
- Super bulky weight (06)– 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Please note – you may have to change your needles for the decreases of the hat if working on the circulars becomes too tight.
- This would mean using a set of size 10 mm double-pointed needles (DPNs).
- If you do not have those, you could use a 60cm/24′′ cable and use the magic loop technique.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – Cast on
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Dark grey / Yarn B – White
- Cast on > 44 sts in Yarn A, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 – rep to the end of the round.
- Cont to knit in rib until work from CO edge measures 3 inches.
- Next round: K1, M1, Knit to the end of the round (45 sts).
- Next round: (Join in Yarn B) Then – *Knit 2 Yarn A, Knit 1 Yarn B – rep from * to the end of the round.
- Next: Knit 2 rounds Yarn A.
- These two rounds above form the pattern – continue until the hat measures 10′′ from cast-on edge.
- 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- 2nd rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- 4th rnd: Knit to the end of the round.
- 5th rnd: K2tog – all remaining sts to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and securely fasten to the top of the hat.
You may also like these free patterns for men’s hats:
- The Mariner’s Hat Pattern
- Easy Men’s Hat Pattern – The Fotios
- Free Men’s Hat Knitting Pattern – The Adonis
- Leopard print Hat Pattern – The Leonidas
- Men’s Hat Pattern – The Hektor
- Beanie Hat Pattern – The Diomedes
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo