I wanted to make and share a men’s beanie hat pattern that is really easy for any advanced beginner knitters.
This simple and easy-to-knit men’s hat is timeless in its design and style.
The knitted beanie hat would take you around an hour or two to make (depending on how fast you knit!) and will be welcomed in the colder weather.
Scroll down for the free pattern or you can purchase a printer-friendly ad-free PDF here.
An Easy-Level Beanie Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
This hat has a ribbed brim and a stocking stitch pattern main section, with a bit of extra length that gives it some slouch.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
The yarn I used to make the beanie
I made the hat using Alize Lanagold yarn in black 60, using two strands knit together.
This made it suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles.
You can find Alize yarns for sale on Etsy or from YarnStreet.
Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use – knit with a single strand.
Alternatively, any yarn that can be knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) needles will be fine for this project.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to kit two stitches together – K2tog.
- How to knit in the round.
The Diomedes Men’s Beanie Hat Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute, or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- Adult/Man (adult medium)
- Hat lying flat and unstretched – Height = 10.5 inches / Width = 9 inches
- Head circumference = 22/24 inches.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4 in/10 cm.
The supplies you need
- 1 skein of Alize Lanagold in black 60 – (knit using two strands knit together) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Substitute yarn – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Grey Marble
- Super bulky weight (06)– 106 yards.
- Yarn weight guide
- 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Please note – you may have to change your needles for the decrease of the hat if working on the circulars becomes too tight.
- This would mean using a set of size 10 mm double-pointed needles (DPNs).
- If you do not have those, you could use a 60cm/24′′ cable and use the magic loop technique.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – Cast on
- Cont – Continue(ing)
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit the next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- Rem – Remaining
- Rep – Repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- Cast on 45 sts, join in the round, and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- Work in 3/2 Rib as follows:
- 1st round: P2, K3 – rep to the end of the round.
- Rep round 1 – Cont to knit in rib until work from the CO edge measures 3′′.
- Then knit every round until the work from the CO edge measures 9 inches.
- 1st round: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- 2nd round: Knit.
- 3rd round: *K2tog, K1. Rep from * to the end of the round.
- Break yarn.
- Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the knitted hat pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.