This Outlander cowl knitting pattern will allow you to create a large cosy knitted cowl.
I wanted to share with you another free knitting pattern that has been inspired by the TV show Outlander.
This pattern is part of my Outlander collection, you can see the other Outlander patterns here.
Scroll down for the free pattern and don’t forget to pin and share!
Outlander Claire’s Cowl – Seen In Outlander Season 1
If you have been watching the Outlander TV series, in season one, Claire wore a very distinctive chunky knit cowl.
Inspired by the knitted cowl she wears during her travels into the past, this is knit in garter stitch.
The design of the cowl is made in one piece, then seamed, so that you can wrap it around your neck twice.
Claire Fraser wearing her knitted cowl (above).
The Design Inspiration – Claire’s Cowl Outlander
Inspired by Claire Fraser wearing beautiful knitted pieces, the cowl is a great beginner project.
If you have never knit anything before, this would be a really easy accessory for you to begin with.
The Claire cowl is knit on large needles with super bulky yarn, in one long piece.
The ends are then sewn together to make it into one piece that can easily be wrapped around the neck twice.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This Outlander Claire cowl pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should also be comfortable knitting with two strands of yarn together.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Visit the Outlander Knitting Pattern Ebooks in my shop below:
- Outlander Pattern Collection – featuring 20 patterns
- Outlander Gloves and Arm Warmers Collection – featuring 10 patterns
- Outlander Shawls, Wraps and Scarves Collection – featuring 10 patterns
Outlander Claire Cowl Knitting Pattern
Claire’s cowl knitting pattern will allow you to create a large chunky scarf that can be wrapped around your neck twice.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic (Beginner)
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick And Quick (170g/106 yds /107 m) in Barley – 124 x 4 skeins
- *This yarn was knit with two strands together.
- Yarn Weight – Super Bulky 06
10 x 10 cm /4 x 4 inches = 12 sts and 10 rows
- Width = 9.5 inches / 24 cm
- Length (laying flat before seaming) = 52 inches / 132 cm
*You can make it longer depending on your own preferences.
- Cont – Continue
- K – knit
Row 1: Cast on 16 sts.
Row 2: Knit to the end of the row.
Cont to knit every row until the yarn is nearly finished, leave enough to cast off or when the length of the scarf measures approx 51 inches / 131 cm.
Seam the two ends together to make an infinity scarf.
Sew in all loose ends.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!