This Outlander Claire fingerless gloves knitting pattern will allow you to practice knitting a simple rib stitch and the finished mitts will look great made with any medium weight yarn in any colour.
I wanted to share with you another free knitting pattern that has been inspired by the TV show Outlander.
This pattern is part of my Outlander collection, you can see the other Outlander patterns here.
Inspired by The Outlander Knits
If you have been watching the Outlander TV series, you have probably noticed the beautiful knitted pieces that main character Claire wears, including her ribbed brown fingerless mittens.
Claire is seen wearing them as hand and wrist warmers, but in my design, I left a gap for my thumb, so they can be worn either way.
They can be made in any colour, I made mine in brown natural wool, so not only are they warm they are really soft to wear.
View the Outlander Pattern Collection Ebooks in my shop below:
- Outlander Pattern Collection – featuring 20 patterns
- Outlander Gloves and Arm Warmers Collection – featuring 10 patterns
- Outlander Shawls, Wraps and Scarves Collection – featuring 10 patterns
Outlander Claire Fingerless Mittens
The Outlander inspired gloves are perfect for the colder weather, as they have been knit with medium weight yarn (04), in La Mia natural wool (100g) colour brown H5.
Using knit and purl stitches, you will create ribbing, knit flat – either on straight or circular needles (but not joining in the round).
The thumb hole is explained in the pattern and is easy to do, you just leave a gap when you seam the mittens.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Outlander Claire Gloves Pattern
Skill Level – Basic (beginner)
The gloves knit up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Width (laying flat and unstretched) = 3 inches
Thumbhole = 2 inches
For a smaller size – cast on – 36 sts
For a larger size – cast on – 44 sts
Gauge = 18-20 sts in 4 inches/10 cm
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 x skein of any medium weight yarn (04) 100g
- Yarn weight chart
- I used La Mia Natural Wool in the colour brown H5.
- Good Yarn Substitute – Cascade 220.
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- CO – cast on
- Cont – Continue
- K – knit
- P – purl
- St(s) – stitch(es)
- Rep – repeat
Make 2 the same:
- CO – S – 36 sts / M – 40 sts / L – 44 sts
- K1, P1 – every row until the piece measures 9 inches (or you can decide on your own length).
- Cast off – in rib
- Stitch the side seam using the invisible seam stitch.
- Start by stitching the length of the wrist for 5 inches, leave a gap of 2 inches for the thumb hole and then stitch a further 2 inches to close the top of the mitts.
- You don’t have to leave the thumb hole gap if you want to use them as arm warmers instead (as pictured below).
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the fingerless mitts, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!