Inspired by Metsovo in Greece, this snow beanie hat knitting pattern is an excellent beginner project.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
It can be worn as seen for extra slouch or with the brim rolled (turned up) for a closer fit.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Snow Beanie Knitting Pattern
This is a beginner level knitting pattern, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, as well as knitting on either circular or double pointed needles.
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
This easy hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
Beanie Hat Pattern
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free PDF version from my shop.
Thank you for your support!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 2 skeins of super bulky yarn (in light grey and white – I used Yarn Art Alpine Alpaca in white 433 and grey in Yarn Art Alpine 334) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be fine to use.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full ball for each colour.
- However, whichever colour you make the pom in will need to have more yarn available.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker Clover 2 - 1/2 inch Large.
Yarn A = Light Grey / Yarn B = White
- Cast on > 38 sts in Yarn A, join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st rnd: K1, P1.
- 2nd rnd: Knit every round until work measures 4″.
- Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn B then knit every round until work measures 8.5″ from cast on edge.
Decrease as follows >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around till last st K1.
- 4th rnd: Knit
- 5th rnd: K2tog.
Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
This hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You are welcome to sell items knit from this pattern, I just ask that you give pattern credit to Handy Little Me and link to www.handylittleme.com in any listings. Thank you!
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
PM - Place marker
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo