This newborn hat pattern for the holidays is almost too cute to handle.
The baby hat is quick to make and perfect for any newborn photography sessions or Christmas card photographs.
If you are taking your little one for a special newborn photo shoot you could make one of these hats.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, you will also use decreases to shape.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
Newborn Hat Pattern For The Holidays
Skill Level – Easy
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for a larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
The Supplies You Need
- 1 x 100g ball of super bulky/super chunky/14 ply yarn and 1 x 50g cream suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles.
- ( Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or something similar will also be ok).
- Any super bulky/super chunky/14-ply yarn.
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circular knitting needles.
- You may also need a set of 9mm (US 13) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Pom pom maker – Clover Large – 3 3/8 inch
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2
- stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in brim color (cream).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib.
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change the yarn to the main color (light brown) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6, K2tog, K7, K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4, K2tog – Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- All sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3, K2tog – Rep from* around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2, K2tog – Rep from* around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1, K2tog – Rep from* around.
- When you have around 12 sts left on the needles, continue knitting until the length of the piece from the top of the hat to the end measures 13″. You can extend or shorten this to how you want it to look.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog – Rep from* around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make a pom in a coordinating color (cream) and sew the pompom to the end of the hat.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.