This newborn hat pattern for the holidays is almost too cute to handle.
The baby hat is quick to make and perfect for any newborn photography sessions or Christmas card photographs.
If you are taking your little one for a special newborn photo shoot you could make one of these hats.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Christmas Baby Patterns
You may also like these free baby knitting patterns:
- 1 x 100g ball of super bulky yarn and 1 x 50g cream suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles.
- (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be ok).
- Any super bulky yarn (06)
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circular knititng needles.
- You may also need a set of 9mm (US 13) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker - Clover Large - 3 3/8 inch
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in brim colour (cream).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change yarn to main colour (light brown) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- All sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- When you have around 12 sts left on the needles, continue knitting until the length of the piece from the top of the hat to the end measures 13″. You can extend or shorten this to how you want it to look.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from* around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make a pom in a coordinating colour (cream) and sew the pompom to the end of the hat.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Gauge - 2 sts / 2 rows in 1 inch
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo