Santa Sack Hat Pattern (7 Sizes)THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT SUPPORT HANDY LITTLE ME CONTENT AND FREE PATTERNS.
This Santa sack hat is the perfect accessory for the holidays!
It is really quick and easy to make, knit flat on size 9 mm needles (US 13) with super bulky yarn (06).
Available to make in a range of sizes, from baby through to adult.
Scroll down to view the free pattern or grab the ad-free PDF from my shop here.
Make An Adorable Little Santa Sack Hat
This perfect little hat for the holidays would make a great gift for a friend or loved one to wear on Christmas morning.
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are basic beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are casting on, casting off, knit, and purl stitches.
The hat is knit in one long piece and then seamed on either side to create the shape, then two large pom poms are then stitched in the top corners of the hat.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
- It would help if you were comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- It would help if you were comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Christmas Baby Patterns
You may also like these free baby knitting patterns:
Skill Level – Basic
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Sizes – This hat can be made in a range of sizes as follows;
0-3 months – CO 16 / Circumference = 14-15″ / Finished length = 11″
3-6 months – CO 18 / Circumference = 15-16″ / Finished length = 12″
6-12 months – CO 20 / Circumference = 16-17″ / Finished length = 13″
12-24 months – CO 22 / Circumference = 18-19″ / Finished length = 14″
2T – 4T – CO 24 / Circumference = 19-20″ / Finished length = 15″
5T to 12 years – CO 26 / Circumference = 20-21 /Finished length = 16″
Teens to adults – CO 28 / Circumference = 21-23 / Finished length = 17″
You may want to adjust the head size/circumference/finished length depending on the recipient of the hat.
Gauge – 10 sts and 14 rows = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- 1 skein of red – Super Bulky Yarn 06 – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or something similar.
- 1 skein (or leftovers) of white – Super Bulky Yarn 06 – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in fisherman or something similar.
- Any super bulky/super chunky/14 ply yarn.
- Clover pom maker – Clover 2 – 1/2 inch Large.
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- P – Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- St St – Stockinette stitch
Yarn A – White / Yarn B – Red
- With Yarn A – CO 16, (18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28) sts.
- Row 1: K2, P2 – rep to the end of the row.
- Rep row 1 for 1.5 inches.
- Change to Yarn B.
- Row 1: Knit
- Row 2: Purl
- Continue to work in st st until piece measures – 9.5″ (10.5″, 11.5″, 12.5″, 13.5″, 14.5″, 15.5″)
- Change to Yarn A and K 1 row
- K2, P2 rib for 1.5″
- Cast off in rib.
Fold the hat and stitch the side seams (you may prefer to do this turned inside out or with the mattress stitch).
Weave in any loose ends.
Make 2 corner pom poms and stitch to the folded corners of the hat and secure into place.
I love seeing your finished projects!
Share your work with us…
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work!
Merry Christmas x