Make this baby Santa hat knitting pattern and use it in your holiday photos!
It is really quick and easy to make, knit up on size 9mm needles (US 13) with super bulky/super chunky/14 ply yarn.
So not only is it cute but also really cosy!
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Christmas Baby Patterns
You may also like these free baby knitting patterns:
- Baby Santa Sack Hat Pattern
- Christmas Tree Hat
- Christmas Baby Hat
- Holiday Hat Pattern
- Newborn Hat Pattern For The Holidays
- Free Christmas Knitting Patterns
Baby Santa Hat Knitting Pattern
The hat knits up quickly in super bulky yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
- The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
- The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
- 0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
- Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need…
- 1 skein or leftovers (around 50g) of Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick in Fisherman 099
- 1 skein or leftovers of around 50-70g of Lion Brand wool-ease thick and quick in Cranberry.
- Suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Super bulky/super chunky/14 ply yarn.
- Yarn weight guide
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2
- stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in brim colour (white or cream)
- Join in rnd, placing marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change yarn to main colour (red) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Both sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
- Break yarn.
- Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make 1 oversized pom pom in a coordinating colour and sew pompom to the top of the hat.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo