This newborn hat pattern is almost too cute to handle.
The baby hat is knit with super bulky yarn on size 9.00mm (US 13) needles, so it’s so it’s quick to make and perfect for any holiday newborn photography sessions or Christmas card photographs.
If you are taking your little one for a special newborn photoshoot over the holidays, you could make one of these hats for the photos as it is perfect for newborn photography.
This newborn hat is finished off with one pom on the end of the hat. Knitting for babies is fun no matter what your skill level and this hat pattern is easy for any beginners.
Knit in the round, this hat uses basic knit stitches and requires some decreasing.
*Scroll down for the free printable pattern*
Newborn Prop Hat Pattern
The newborn knit hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
This means that there is no seaming needed, you just have to stitch in any loose ends when you are finished.
You will need a pom maker to make the pom on the end of the hat or if you are going for the traditional method – a piece of cardboard to make circles from.
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
Newborn Hat Knitting Pattern
The knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a quick project and great for stash busting – any yarns you have leftover from other projects can be used up for baby hats!
I have made many hats using cotton and wool/acrylic blends.
Using bulky yarn is preferred for this hat, Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or Hometown would work really well.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 1 ball of chunky yarn in Alize Lanagold (05) light brown and (01) cream suitable for size 9.00mm (US 13) needles
- (Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar will also be ok).
- Any super bulky yarn (06)
- Set of 9.00mm (US 13) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in brim colour (cream).
- Join in rnd, placing a marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 1″.
- Then change yarn to main colour (light brown) and knit every round until the work from beg measures 5.5″/6″/6.5″/7″.
- Size 0-3 months/3-6 months/6/12 months only: Next rnd: (K6. K2tog. K7. K2tog) twice.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- Size 18/24 mos only: Next rnd: *K4. K2tog. Rep from *around.
- Next rnd: Knit.
- All sizes: Shape top: 1st rnd: *K3. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from* around.
- When you have around 12 sts left on the needles, continue knitting until the length of the piece from the top of the hat to the end measures 13″. you can extend or shorten this to how you want it to look.
- 6th rnd: *K2tog. Rep from* around.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Finishing: Make a pom in a coordinating colour (cream) and sew the pompom to the end of the hat.
Please note >
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Baby Pom Hat Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo