In this post, you will see a Christmas baby hat knitting pattern.
This baby hat is knit with super bulky yarn on size 10.00mm (US 15) needles, so it’s sure to protect your baby from the cold and will look awesome in any holiday photos.
Scroll down to view the free pattern or grab the ad-free printable PDF pattern in my shop here.
An Easy-Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, there is also shaping through simple decreases.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
Christmas Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use copyrighted photos for your product listing.
The instructions are written for smaller sizes. If changes are necessary for a larger size the instructions will be written thus ( ).
The circumference of the head is worked out like this >
0-3 months = 14-15″ / 3-6 months = 15-16″ / 6-12 months = 16-17″ / 18-24 months = 18-19″
Please measure to make sure you have the right circumference for your hat as every baby is different and may need to go up or down a size.
Gauge – 10 sts and 15 rounds = 4in/10cm
The Supplies You Need
- 1 100g ball of yarn in red yarn and 1 x ball of white (50g) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or something similar.
- Any super bulky/super chunky/14-ply yarn.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular knitting needles.
- You may also need a set of 10mm (US 15) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K2tog = Knit the next 2 stitches together
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – Red / Yarn B – White
- Cast on > 30 sts (0-3 months) / 32 sts (3-6 months) / 34 sts (6-12 months) / 36 sts (18/24 months) in Yarn A.
- Join in rnd, placing the marker on first st.
- 1st rnd: Purl
- Knit next 4 rows (0-3 months), / 5 rows (3-6 months) / 6 rows (6-12 months) / 7 rows (18-24 months).
- Then change yarn to Yarn B and knit 3 rows (0-3 months), / 4 rows (3-6 months) / 5 rows (6-12 months) / 6 rows (18-24 months).
- Change to Yarn A and knit 3 rows (0-3 months), / 4 rows (3-6 months) / 5 rows (6-12 months) / 6 rows (18-24 months).
- Add in Yarn B and work as follows;
- *Knit 2 sts Yarn A, knit 1 Yarn B – rep to the end of the round.
- Next 2 rows knit in Yarn A*
- Follow this pattern from * to * until the hat measures 5″ (0-3 months) / 6″ (3-6 months) / 7″ (6-12 months) / 8″ (18-24 months) from the cast-on edge.
Next start to decrease the top using Yarn A only >
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around to last st K1.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around.
Draw the end through rem sts and fasten securely.
Sew in any loose ends.
Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating color.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.