Pom Pom Scarf Knitting PatternTHIS ARTICLE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS THAT SUPPORT HANDY LITTLE ME CONTENT AND FREE PATTERNS.
In this post, you will see a pom pom scarf knitting pattern.
This scarf knitting pattern is easy for beginners and will keep you warm on the coldest of days.
Knit with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in three of my favorite colors – Fisherman, Mustard, and Slate.
Scroll down to view the free pattern or grab your printable PDF here.
Pom Pom Scarves
Pom pom scarves are so much fun to make, you can add any size pom to the ends of the scarf.
I used a large Clover pom pom maker to make mine and stitched it to each end when the scarf was finished.
You can knit in one color or in any color combination you like.
Scarf Knitting Pattern
The scarf is knit in garter stitch, worked flat (back and forth) on straight needles.
This makes it a great pattern for beginners who are learning how to knit.
The scarf size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern
This pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to knit KFB.
- How to knit two stitches together – K2tog.
Pom Pom Scarf Knitting Pattern
Get the ad-free, printable PDF pattern here.
The scarf knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
You may also be interested in this sweater pattern (seen in the photos) – Oversized Chunky Knit Sweater Pattern
If you prefer cardigans then this is for you! – Chunky Cardigan Knitting Pattern
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic (Beginner)
Finished measurements – Laying flat and unstretched:
- Length = 102 inches / 260 cm
- Width = 9.5 inches / 25 cm
Gauge – 9 stitches / 18 rows to 4×4 inches/10x10cm in garter stitch.
The supplies you need
- Super bulky weight/Super chunky/14 ply yarn.
- 3 x skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (170g) in the following colors:
- Yarn A – Fisherman (099)
- Yarn B – Mustard (150)
- Yarn C – Slate Grey (148)
- Yarn weight guide
Pom Pom Maker
Clover pom pom maker – large size – 85mm / 3-3/8 inch
- CO – Cast on
- K – Knit
- KFB – Knit into the front and back of the stitch (increase)
- K2tog – Knit the next two stitches together (decrease)
- Rep – Repeat
- RS – Right side
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
- WS – Wrong side
- With 10mm (US 15) needles and yarn A, cast on 4 sts.
- Row 1: Knit to the end of the row.
- Row 2: KFB into the first stitch, K to the last stitch, KFB. (2 sts increased)
- Rep rows 1 and 2 – 7 more times. (20sts)
- Next row – Knit.
- Continue to knit every row in yarn A for a further 48 rows.
- Change to yarn B and continue to knit every row for a further 36 rows.
- Change to yarn C and knit every row for a further 162 rows.
- Change to yarn B and knit every row for a further 36 rows.
- Change to yarn A and knit every row for a further 48 rows.
- Row 1 (RS): K2tog, K to last 2 sts, K2tog.
- Row 2 (WS): Knit.
Rep the last 2 rows until you have 4 sts left.
- Weave in any loose ends.
- Make 2 x large pom poms in yarn C and stitch to the pointed ends of the scarf.
- *Trim the pom poms before you stitch them in place.
- Secure and weave in any loose ends.
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the scarf, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work.