This scarf knitting pattern is easy for beginners and can be adapted to fit both an adult and a child.
This knitted scarf is thick and warm, made from chunky yarn.
The scarf in the photographs and from this pattern will fit a child aged 10+ years and it would also fit an adult.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
Scarf Knitting Pattern
The scarf pattern is easy to follow, knit flat on straight needles.
This easy scarf knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for practising garter stitch.
The scarf size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 3 x 100g Super Bulky Yarn 06
- 1 x skein of yarn for the pom poms in your colour choice.
- 10mm (US 15) Knitting Needles – straight
- Pom maker - Clover Large - 3
- Darning needle
Cast on 4
- Row 1 – knit
- Row 2 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 3 – knit
- Row 4 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 5 – knit
- Row 6 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 7 – knit
- Row 8 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 9 – knit
- Row 10 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 11 – knit
- Row 12 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 13 – knit
- Row 14 – knit into the front and back of 1st and last stitch
- Row 15 – knit
Continue to work in knit (garter stitch) until the scarf measures 70 inches (depending on how long you want it to be. This is long enough to be wrapped around the neck.)
- Then begin to decrease – K2tog, knit to last 2 stitches then K2tog.
- Next row – knit
Repeat last 2 rows until you have 4 stitches left, then cast off.
Add The Poms >
Make 2 large poms and stitch to the ends of the scarf (as you can see in the photographs).
Gauge - 10 sts and 15 rows = 4in/10cm
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the scarf, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo