mmmm it’s like an ice cream swirl! Make a delicious ice cream swirl tea cozy with this easy free knitting pattern.
Fancy making something delicious looking for your teapot?
The ice cream swirl tea cozy is made in two pieces then stitched together leaving openings for the handle and spout.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
Tea Cozy Pattern
The bottom of the cosy needs some shaping with a pull tie to secure the swirls into shape.
The top of the cosy also needs to be pulled tight, then the poms can be added.
The pattern is easy to follow, knitted flat on straight needles.
Tea Cosy Patterns
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of tea cosies in different colours.
The tea cozy pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
- 1 x 50g double knit yarn in white
- 1 x 50g double knit yarn in pink
- 4mm (US 6) knitting needles
- 4mm crochet hook
- Pom Maker
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
Make 2 pieces –
Cast on 40 stitches in pink yarn
- Row 1 – Knit
- Row 2 – Purl first two stitches together, purl to last stitch, M1, K1
- Row 3 – Knit
- Row 4 – Purl first two stitches together, purl to last stitch, M1, K1
- Row 5 – Knit
- Row 6 – Purl first two stitches together, purl to last stitch, M1, K1
- (Change colour to white) Row 7 – Purl
- Row 8 – Knit first two stitches together, knit to last stitch, M1, K1
- Row 9 – Purl
- Row 10 – Knit first two stitches together, knit to last stitch, M1, K1
- Row 11 – Purl
- Row 12 – Knit first two stitches together, knit to last stitch, M1, K1
Repeat these 12 rows 9 times. Cast off. Pick up 35 stitches along the bottom of the piece in the white yarn.
Work in stockinette stitch – Purl 1st row, Knit, until piece measures 1.5 inches long.
Making up >
- Stitch the two sides together leaving gaps for the teapot spout and handle.
- The stocking stitch edge will be at the top of the cosy.
- For the bottom edge, single crochet 2 rows around in white yarn.
- With the pink yarn thread through the darning needle and sew large loose stitches through the bottom of the cosy, pull tight and tie in a small bow.
- Do this to the top of the cosy also.
- This allows the swirl pattern to stay in shape.
- Make 2 large pom poms and 2 small poms in coordinating colours and stitch to the top of the tea cosy.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Home Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
Ice Cream Swirl Tea Cosy Knitting Pattern PDF Download | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the tea cosy, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo