This adorable kids beanie hat knitting pattern is the perfect pattern for a beginner knitter.
The simple beanie hat is a basic hat your little one will love wearing almost as much as you’ll love seeing him or her in it.
You can easily make it using any super bulky yarn of your choice.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
Kids Hat Knitting Pattern
The kid’s hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 31 of the baby and kids knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- Yarn – I used YarnArt Alpine Maxi in Grey 334
- A good substitute would be Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in fisherman for the pom
- Any super bulky yarn
- Knitting needles – 10mm (US 15) 16" circulars
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
- Cast on – 30 / 34 sts
- Row 1 – Knit
- Row 2 – K1, P1 (rib) to end of row – complete a further 5 rows of ribbing.
- Row 7 – Knit
- Repeat row 7 – 10 / 12 times
- Decrease for the crown as follows –
- K1 then K2tog repeat to 1st before the end of the row, K1 (16, 18) sts
- K1 then k2tog, repeat to 2 / 1 sts before the end of the row
- K2, K1, K2, K1, K2
- Cut yarn and pull tight to secure.
- Sew in all ends
- Make a pom to stitch on the top of the hat.
Gauge 8st / 12 rows – 10cm (4″)
Size – baby 14″ / toddler 16″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Lion Brand Yarn 641-154 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Bonus Bundle, Grey Marble
Lion 640-099 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Fisherman
Baby And Kids Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo