In this post, you will see a clutch bag pattern.
To kick that collection off, I want to share a pink clutch that I made recently using a mixtape yarn, this yarn is so good to knit with, as it is lightweight yet bulky so it knits up fast.
This knit clutch purse has been made with spring/summer in mind – great for drinks or the beach.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl and yarn forward.
This top has a very interesting stitch pattern that is called – The Bamboo Stitch.
If you enjoy this stitch you may also like this Beach Poncho Pattern.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
The Bamboo Stitch
This is an excellent beginner project, that will introduce you to the bamboo stitch.
You can see a video tutorial showing you how to knit the bamboo stitch.
You can view the bamboo stitch video tutorial on my YouTube channel here.
You can also see a video tutorial showing you how to make the bag tassel on my YouTube channel here.
The Yarn I Used
I used Wool and the Gang’s Mixtape yarn in Peach Pink for this clutch bag project.
This was knit up quite quickly and used 1 skein of the mixtape yarn.
This yarn is a tape yarn and is used for many projects including bags, rugs, and baskets.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Clutch Bag Pattern
The clutch bag knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy
The finished measurements are > H (inc handles) = 8′′ / W = 10′′
Gauge – 2 sts in 1′′
The Supplies You Need
- 1 x Wool and the Gang Mixtape Yarn in Peach Pink
- 10mm (US 15) knitting needles
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- P = Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- YF = Yarn Forward
Main Body of Bag
- With 10mm (US 15) needles cast on 32sts
- Row 1: K1, *Yarn Forward, K2, pass increased stitch over the knitted stitches*. Rep from * to * to last st, K1.
- Row 2: Purl
- Repeat the last two rows until the piece measures 14′′ from the cast on edge.
- Cast off.
- Sew in any loose ends.
Making Up The Bag
- Cut a good length of mixtape yarn and thread through the darning needle.
- With the right side of the bag facing you start to stitch the bamboo handle along one side of the bag.
- Loop the stitches around the handles until the end and secure.
- Do the same thing with the other handle on the other side.
- Stitch the side seams together (I did this using the mattress stitch, with the right sides of the bag facing me).
- Weave in any loose ends.
An alternate way to finish the handles
- If you want to finish off the handles in a different way, you can do the following >>
- Pick up and knit 12 sts along the top right corner edge of the bag.
- Cont in pattern until the extra length measures 2.5′′
- Cast off.
- Rep three times at every corner.
- Stitch with the extra bits caught over the top of the bamboo handles.
- Do the same for all of the extra handle flaps.
Making The Tassel >
Making the tassel is easy and fun!
- You need to wrap our yarn around a piece of cardboard (I used a notebook) and secure the top.
- Then you slide it off the cardboard and wrap a section of yarn around the top bit. Cut the bottom so the yarn can shake loose.
- Wrap some gold thread or rope around the top bit so that it hides the knot and gives some contrast.
- Sitch some of the same gold rope/thread through the top of the tassel.
- Attach it to your keyring and clip it onto the bag.
Tutorial- How To Make Tassels
I love seeing your finished projects!