In this post, you will see a granny square bucket hat crochet pattern.
This hat is perfect for summer days with the brim turned up or turned down.
Made from cotton in three different colors, this crochet bucket hat is a great stash buster.
Granny Square Bucket Hat
The granny square bucket hat crochet pattern is great for advanced beginners.
This is a quick project, you only need a few hours to make your hat.
The cotton makes this hat hold its shape well and is easily folded for packing.
Shop the printable PDF pattern…
Please scroll down to view the free pattern online or grab the inexpensive ad-free PDF in my shop here.
The stitches and techniques you need to know…
The stitches used in this pattern are (in US terms) single crochet and increasing by completing two single crochet stitches into one stitch.
The rounds of single crochet create the hat shape, increasing to shape the width and the brim.
For the granny squares, you will also need to know how to dc – double crochet.
Find more crochet hat patterns here
You may also like these crochet hat patterns for summer…
- Crochet Triangle Shawl Pattern – Granny Stripe
- Striped Bucket Hat Crochet Pattern
- Sun Hat Crochet Pattern
- Striped Unisex Bucket Hat Crochet Pattern
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for advanced beginners.
Granny Square Bucket Hat Crochet Pattern
- This hat uses one hook size only.
- There are no turning chains, the hat is worked in a spiral.
- You can use stitch markers to denote the beg and end of a round.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Easy (Advanced Beginner)
Gauge 14 sts/20 rounds in 4×4 inches using the 5mm (US H/8) crochet hook and The Cotton from WAK.
- Circumference – 51 cm/18 inches
- Top of the hat to the edge of the brim – 23 cm/9 inches
- This hat will fit a head circumference size of around 56/61 cm/22/24 inches
- If you want a larger size – you could use a larger hook size – a 5.5mm/I/9 hook or a 6 mm/ J/10 hook.
The supplies you need…
- 1 x We Are Knitters – The Cotton in the color Denim
- 1 x We Are Knitters – The Cotton in the color Natural
- 1 x We Are Knitters – The Cotton in the color Mint
- This cotton is 100% Pima Cotton/10g/3.05oz/232 yds/212m.
- Use my code – MGM4VHHAT – for 10 off on your WAK yarn order.
This pattern is written in US crochet terms.
You can grab a free list of US and UK crochet terms here.
- beg – beginning
- ch – chain
- ch-sp – chain space
- dc – double crochet
- inc – Increase (2 sc in the next sc)
- sc – single crochet
- sl-st – slip stitch
- RS – right side
- Rep – repeat
- WS – wrong side
Granny Square Pattern
Color 1 – Mint
Color 2 – Natural
Color 3 – Denim
Make 5 Granny squares.
Granny Square Pattern
With the first color, ch 4, sl-st in the first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in the ring, (ch 3, 3 dc in ring) 3 times, ch 3, join with a sl-st in top of first ch 3, fasten off.
Round 2: Join 2nd color in any corner 3 ch-sp, ch 3, 2 dc in same sp, ch 3, 3 dc in same sp, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc in next sp, ch 3) 3 times, then join with a sl-st in top of first ch 3, fasten off.
Round 3: Join 3rd color in any corner 3 ch-sp, ch 3, 2 dc in same sp, ch 3, 3 dc in same sp, ch 3, (3 dc in next space between 3 dc groups, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc in next 3 ch-sp) 3 times, 3 dc in next sp between 3-dc groups, ch 3, join with a sl-st in top of first ch 3, fasten off.
Weave in all ends.
Bucket Hat Pattern
In Color 3 – Denim
With the 5 mm (US H/8) Crochet hook ch 2.
(Please note, rounds 1-17 are worked on the right side in a spiral.)
- Round 1 > Work 10 sc in 2nd ch from hook.
- Please note > Keep track of where your rows start by placing a stitch marker on the last st of each round. There are no turning chains in the pattern.
- Round 2 > 2 sc in each sc.
- Round 3 > *sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (25 sc)
- Round 4 > *sc in each of next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (30 sc)
- Round 5 > *sc in each of next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (35 sc)
- Round 6 > *sc in each of next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (40 sc)
- Round 7 > *sc in each of next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (45 sc)
- Round 8 > *sc in each of next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (50 sc)
- Round 9 > *sc in each of next 9 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (55 sc)
- Round 10 > *sc in each of next 10 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (60 sc)
- Rounds 11 and 12 > sc in each sc around.
- Round 13 > *sc in each of next 14 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made), rep from * around. (64 sc)
- Round 14 – sc in each sc around.
- sl-st and fasten off.
Attach The Granny Squares
- Next, you will seam the granny squares to the hat.
- Start by cutting a length of yarn, threading your darning needle, and then attaching the first granny square to the edge of the hat with the right sides facing you.
- Seam through the top loops only.
- When all of the granny squares have been seamed to the crown/top of the hat, you will then need to seam the granny square edges to each other.
- They will also have to be seamed through the top loops only.
- Once you have completed that, you can then continue to work in Color 3 – Denim.
- Push the crochet hook through a ch in one of the granny squares and pull the yarn through, then work rounds of sc until the hat measures 18 cm/7 inches from the top of the hat.
Try it on to see if it is long enough to cover your head, you could add rounds to make it a little longer if you wish.
I continued working in Color 3 for a few rounds then changed to Color 1 because I ran out of yarn.
So this can be completed in one color only or 3 rounds in Color 3 and then the rem rounds in Color 1.
All of the following rounds are worked on the right side in a spiral.
Use 2 strands of yarn together to continue…
Round 1 > *sc in each of the next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc (inc made) rep from * around. (80 sc)
Rounds 2-8 > sc in each sc around.
The brim should measure 5 cm/2 inches from the beg of the brim.
To finish off, join with a sl-st into the beg sc of the round.
Cut yarn and weave in any loose ends.