Learn how to make a mini knitted pumpkin with this easy free pattern!
I wanted to make something pretty for autumn as a decoration for my home and decided to make a cute mini pumpkin!
It would look great on its own or you could make lots of them into a garland or door wreath.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
Knitted Pumpkin Pattern Free
Just give it a good squeeze when you’re feeling that Thanksgiving stress!!
All you need are a few materials to get started.
This is a great project that will take you about an hour or two to make, with easy instructions and photographs to follow.
They will make great decorations for your Thanksgiving table, or to give as gifts.
If you are a beginner or expert, this pumpkin pattern will be a fun project for you.
To make your own pumpkin patch, take a look at these free pumpkin patterns which are available to make in 3 sizes.
Knitted Pumpkin Pattern
The mini pumpkin pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of pumpkins in different colours.
The free pumpkin pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 1 x skein or scraps of orange DK/light 03 yarn
- scraps of brown DK/light 03 yarn
- 4mm (US 6) double pointed (or 16″ circular) needles
- 4mm (US 6) straight needles
- Toy stuffing – to fill the pumpkin
- Darning needle
- Cast on 36 stitches, leaving a tail length of about 15″
- Divide the stitches onto your two needles (use the 4mm circular needles) and join being careful not to twist.
- *K5, P1* repeat until the knitting is about 3″ long.
- Break off the yarn and thread through the remaining stitches, pull together tight and secure with a knot.
- Turn the right side out.
- Then stuff the mini pumpkin with the toy stuffing until it is nice and round.
- On the open end, thread your yarn through and pull together to close the opening.
- Make a knot to hold in place.
- Push the tail from the end through so you have to lengths of yarn coming from one end.
- Tie the two tails together and wrap around and around to form that pumpkin shape.
- Then knot to keep the shape.
- Weave the ends in.
For the stalk – use the 4mm (US 6) needles and brown dk yarn.
- Cast on 8 stitches
- Start with a knit row and work st st (stocking stitch) until piece measures 1.5 inches (longer if you want!)
- Cast off.
- Stitch the stalk into place on the top of the pumpkin.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Stocking stitch (knit one row, purl one row)
James Brett Top Value DK Double Knitting Wool 100% Acrylic Yarn 100g Ball (Neon Orange 8443)
Home Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the mini pumpkin, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo