Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make a mini knitted pumpkin with this easy free pattern!
I wanted to make something pretty for autumn as a decoration for my home and decided to make a cute mini pumpkin!
It has been such a hit with my colleagues, that they can also double as a stress ball.
Knitted Pumpkin Pattern Free
Just give it a good squeeze when you’re feeling that Thanksgiving stress!!
All you need are a few materials to get started.
This is a great project that will take you about an hour or two to make, with easy instructions and photographs to follow.
They will make great decorations for your Thanksgiving table, or to give as gifts.
If you are a beginner or expert, this pumpkin pattern will be a fun project for you.
Knitted Pumpkin Pattern
The mini pumpkin pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles.
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of pumpkins in different colours.
The free pumpkin pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 15 of the home knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- Orange DK yarn
- Brown DK yarn
- 4mm (US 6) double pointed (or 16″ circular) needles
- 4mm (US 6) straight needles
- Toy stuffing – to fill the pumpkin
- Darning needle
- Cast on 36 stitches, leaving a tail length of about 15″
- Divide the stitches onto your two needles (use the 4mm circular needles) and join being careful not to twist.
- *K5, P1* repeat until the knitting is about 3″ long.
- Break off the yarn and thread through the remaining stitches, pull together tight and secure with a knot.
- Turn inside out.
- Then stuff the mini pumpkin with the toy stuffing until it is nice and round.
- On the open end, thread your yarn through and pull together to close the opening.
- Make a knot to hold in place.
- Push the tail from the end through so you have to lengths of yarn coming from one end.
- Tie the two tails together and wrap around and around to form that pumpkin shape.
- Then knot to keep the shape.
- Weave the ends in.
For the stalk – use the 4mm (US 6) needles and brown dk yarn.
- Cast on 8 stitches
- Start with a knit row and work st st (stocking stitch) until piece measures 1.5 inches (longer if you want!)
- Cast off.
- Stitch the stalk into place on the top of the pumpkin.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Stocking stitch (knit one row, purl one row)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.