In this post, you will see an easy and quick knitted pumpkin pattern.
I wanted to make something pretty for autumn as a decoration for my home and decided to make a cute mini pumpkin!
It would look great on its own or you could make lots of them into a garland or door wreath.
Scroll down for the free pattern or you can grab your printer-friendly, ad-free PDF here.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
The Yarn I Used…
I made the small knitted pumpkin using a lightweight (03) yarn (DK yarn) in orange with scraps of brown for the stalk.
This was knit up quite quickly and used leftovers in my yarn stash, around 20g per pumpkin.
Any DK yarn, light worsted weight or 8 Ply yarn will be okay to use for this pattern.
More Pumpkin Knitting Patterns
This pumpkin pattern is great for any advanced beginners.
For more free pumpkin patterns please take a look at these posts:
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- You should also know how to purl – as this is a commonly used stitch.
- How to knit in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Knitted Pumpkin Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
The pumpkin knits up quickly in DK yarn, and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Size – Circumference – 8″ / 21 cm / Height – 3″ / 8cm
Gauge – 18 sts and 24 rounds in 4×4 inches / 10×10 cm
The Supplies You Need
- 1 x skein or scraps of orange DK/light worsted/8 ply yarn.
- scraps of brown DK/light worsted/8 ply yarn.
- Yarn weight guide
- 4mm (US 6) needles – 9″ circular knitting needles.
- The stalk is knit flat – back and forth, not in the round.
- Tape measure
- Darning needle
- Toy stuffing – to fill the pumpkin
Abbreviations / Knitting Abbreviations List
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- P = Purl
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
- St, St = Stocking stitch
- Cast on 36 stitches, leaving a tail length of about 15″
- Divide the stitches onto your two needles (use the 4mm circular needles) and join being careful not to twist.
- *K5, P1* repeat until the knitting is about 3″ long.
- Break off the yarn and thread through the remaining stitches, pull together tight, and secure with a knot.
- Turn the right side out.
- Then stuff the mini pumpkin with the toy stuffing until it is nice and round.
- On the open end, thread your yarn through and pull it together to close the opening.
- Make a knot to hold in place.
- Push the tail from the end through so you have to lengths of yarn coming from one end.
- Tie the two tails together and wrap them around and around to form that pumpkin shape.
- Then knot to keep the shape.
- Weave the ends in.
For the stalk – use the 4mm (US 6) needles and brown DK yarn.
This part is knit flat – back and forth on the needles, not in the round.
- Cast on 8 stitches
- Start with a knit row and work st st (stocking stitch) until the piece measures 1.5 inches (longer if you want!)
- Cast off.
- Stitch the stalk into place on the top of the pumpkin.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the mini pumpkin, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo