This garter stitch scarf pattern is an excellent project for anyone who is learning how to knit.
The scarf is knit in garter stitch, knitting every row until it is super long and cozy!
I wanted to share with you a really easy pattern, that will be perfect to wear during the colder months.
Knit in one color, the project can be customized if you want to add in stripes of other colors.
This would be a great way to use up any leftover yarns in your stash.
*Please pin for later and scroll down to see the free pattern*
Garter Stitch Scarf
The scarf is super easy for beginners because there is only one type of stitch used.
This is the garter stitch, where you knit into every stitch.
You also use large needles – size 9 mm (US 13) to make the scarf.
Make it in any color
I made the scarf in black yarn, which is notoriously hard to work with because it is difficult to see your stitches.
But knitting in garter stitch makes it easy and obviously you can make this scarf in any color that you want!
You can also adjust the length to make it shorter or even longer if you wish.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern
This pattern is great for any beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
More Scarf Knitting Patterns
For more free scarf knitting patterns please take a look at these posts:
Garter Stitch Scarf Pattern
The scarf knits up quickly and the simple design makes for a relaxing and enjoyable knit.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic (Beginner)
Finished measurements – laying flat and unstretched = Length = 98.5 inches / 250 cm / Width = 7 inches / 18 cm
Gauge – 10 stitches, 18 rows in 4×4 inches/10×10 cm in garter stitch.
The suplies you need
- 5 100g skeins of super bulky/super chunky/14 ply weight yarn.
- Lion Brand Hometown USA in Oakland Black
- Yarn weight guide
- CO – Cast on
- K – Knit
- Rep – Repeat
- St(s) – Stitch(es)
With 9mm (US 13) needles, cast on 25 sts.
Row 1: Knit to the end of the row.
Rep row 1 until your scarf is the desired length.
End with the right side facing you for the next row.
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the pattern, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo!
I’d love to see your work.