Make a plush bunny toy with this free knitting pattern.
The bunny is knit in various pieces and then assembled, it also requires toy stuffing for the main body.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- How to K2tog.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
- 1 x 50 g DK/light 03 yarn – grey
- 1 x white (scraps for ears)
- Black DK yarn/pink DK yarn for nose and mouth.
- 4 mm (US 6) knitting needles
- Red felt/red sewing thread/sewing needle
- Plastic toy safety eyes
- Toy stuffing
Main body – make 2 pieces >
- With 4mm needles and grey yarn cast on 20 sts
- Start with a knit row and work in stocking stitch until piece measures 4.5 inches.
- K1, K2tog
- K1, K2tog
- Cast off knitwise.
Bottom of the body – make 1 piece >
- With grey yarn and 4mm (US 6) knitting needles cast on 8 sts (leave a tail of at least 12 inches for sewing up later).
- K2, (YFON, K1) till the end, K1
- Work those two rows 5 times
- Cast off in purl leaving another 12 inches tail for sewing up. Stitch center opening closed so the circle is ready.
Arms – make 2 pieces >
- With 4mm needles and grey yarn cast on 8 sts
- Start with a knit row and work in stocking stitch until piece measures 2 inches.
- K1, K2 tog
- Sew remaining stitches together and sew arm seam. Turn the right way out (using the end of your knitting needle)
Ears – make 2 pieces >
- Using grey yarn cast on 8sts. Work 23 rows in stockinette (stocking) stitch, dec each end of rows 15, 19 and 23.
- Change to white yarn and work 23 rows in stockinette stitch (starting with a purl row), inc each end of rows 2, 4 and 8.
- Bind (cast off)
Making up >
- Stitch nose and mouth onto the front piece of the body.
- Attach eyes/stitch eyes onto the front piece of the body.
- Cut a red felt heart and stitch onto the front body piece using the red thread and a sewing needle.
- Place body pieces together with right sides facing and stitch around leaving the bottom open. Place the arms inside and stitch into place as you go.
- Turn the body the right side out and stuff with toy stuffing.
- Turn upside down and place the circular knitted bottom piece into place. Stitch around and fasten off.
- Attach the ears – stitch the ears into place on top of the head.
Gauge - 18 sts and 24 rows in 4×4 inches / 10x10cm
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
SKPO – Slip one, knit one
St(s) = Stitch(es)
If you enjoyed making the bunny, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo