Make a plush bunny toy with this free knitting pattern.
The bunny is knit in various pieces and then assembled, it also requires toy stuffing (poly-fill) for the main body.
This knitted bunny could be made into an Easter bunny and given to kids as Easter gifts.
Scroll down to view the free printable pattern.
An Easy-Level Bunny Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog, and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, you will also use simple increases and decreases to shape.
You need 4 mm (US 6) knitting needles and DK weight yarn, you could also make this in worsted weight yarn with size 5mm (US 8) knitting needles for a slightly larger bunny.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters who know basic knitting skills.
- Knitting cast-on methods.
- Knitting Lessons
- How to cast on knitting.
- How to cast off knitting.
- How to knit the garter stitch.
- How to knit the purl stitch.
- How to knit stockinette stitch.
- How to read knitting patterns.
- Knitting abbreviations and terms.
- How to knit rib stitch.
- How to knit two stitches together – K2tog.
- 1 x 50 g DK/light 03 yarn – grey
- 1 x white (scraps for ears)
- Black DK yarn/pink DK yarn for nose and mouth.
- 4 mm (US 6) straight knitting needles
- Red felt/red sewing thread/sewing needle
- Plastic toy safety eyes
- Toy stuffing/poly-fill
Main body – make 2 pieces >
- With 4mm needles and grey yarn cast on 20 sts
- Start with a knit row and work in stocking stitch until the piece measures 4.5 inches.
- K1, K2tog
- K1, K2tog
- Cast off knitwise.
Bottom of the body – make 1 piece >
- With grey yarn and 4mm (US 6) knitting needles cast on 8 sts (leave a tail of at least 12 inches for sewing up later).
- K2, (YFON, K1) till the end, K1
- Work those two rows 5 times
- Cast off in purl leaving another 12 inches tail for sewing up. Stitch center opening closed so the circle is ready.
Arms – make 2 pieces >
- With 4mm needles and grey yarn cast on 8 sts
- Start with a knit row and work in stocking stitch until the piece measures 2 inches.
- K1, K2 tog
- Sew the remaining stitches together and sew the arm seam. Turn the right way out (using the end of your knitting needle)
Ears – make 2 pieces >
- Using grey yarn cast on 8sts. Work 23 rows in stockinette (stocking) stitch, dec each end of rows 15, 19, and 23.
- Change to white yarn and work 23 rows in stockinette stitch (starting with a purl row), inc each end of rows 2, 4, and 8.
- Bind (cast off)
Making up >
- Stitch the nose and mouth onto the front piece of the body.
- Attach eyes/stitch eyes onto the front piece of the body.
- Cut a red felt heart and stitch it onto the front body piece using the red thread and a sewing needle.
- Place body pieces together with right sides facing and stitch around leaving the bottom open. Place the arms inside and stitch them into place as you go.
- Turn the body on the right side out and stuff it with toy stuffing.
- Turn upside down and place the circular knitted bottom piece into place. Stitch around and fasten off.
- Attach the ears – stitch the ears into place on top of the head.
Gauge - 18 sts and 24 rows in 4×4 inches / 10x10cm
Approx - Approximately
Beg - Begin(ning)
Cont - Continue(ing)
K - Knit
K2tog - Knit the next 2 stitches together
P - Purl
M1 - Make 1 stitch
Rem - Remaining
Rep - Repeat
Rnd(s) - Round(s)
SKPO - Slip one, knit one
St(s) - Stitch(es)
Share your work with us…
I love seeing your finished projects.
If you enjoyed making the knitted bunny, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
I’d love to see your work.