Make a novelty bunny tea cosy with this free and easy pattern.
The tea cosy is knit flat in two pieces, then stitched together leaving openings for the spout and handle.
The ears, mouth/nose, eyes and fluffy pom tail are all stitched on separately.
The bunny was made using bulky yarn that I had leftover in my stash after knitting a scarf.
This yarn was perfect for making a fluffy bunny.The pattern is easy to follow, knitted flat on straight needles.
You can use up leftover yarns in your stash and make lots of bunny tea cosies in different colours with different coloured ears and tails.
Bunny Tea Cosy Pattern
The tea cozy pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning new stitches.
If you would like to make more knitted items for the home, please take a look at the other patterns in the home knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 15 of the home knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 2 x Sirdar softy 50g (cream or beige) must be bulky yarn.
- pom pom maker
- darning needle
- sewing thread
- knitting Needles: 9 mm(US – 13)
Bunny body – make 2 pieces
- Using 9 mm (Us 13) needles and your chunky yarn choice cast on 28sts.
- Work in st st until piece measures 1 inch ending on a purl row.
- Next row – Knit2Tog, K4 – repeat across row
- Knit2tog, K3 – repeat across row
- Knit2tog, K2 – repeat across row
- K2tog across row
- Break off yarn and bind off. Leave a 7 inch tail length.
- Work the two fronts following the same pattern.
Make 2 pieces >
- Using the same chunky yarn – cast on 6 sts (Leave a 7 or 8 inch length tail as you will need this later)
- Knit 12 rows
- Skpo knit to last 2 stitches K2tog
- Repeat last 2 rows until you have 2 stitches left.
- Cast off and secure.
Pom tail decoration >
I used a pom maker to make the tail.
Making Up >
- Cut eyes, a nose and mouth from felt and stitch into place on the front side of your tea cosy.
- Stitch the pom tail onto the back.
- Stitch the tea cosy body pieces together, leaving gaps in the side seams for the handle and spout of the teapot.
- Attach the ears either side of the head at the top of the cosy.
K – knit
P – purl
Sts – stitches
Garter stitch – every row knit
K2tog – knit 2 stitches together
Skpo – slip one stitch, knit one stitch, pass slipped stitch over knit st