This baby hat pattern is an easy way to work with two colours while making a sweet hat for baby.
Worked in the round, this hat is easy and fast to make, as it is knit with super bulky yarn.
For anyone who is learning how to knit, this would be a great project to learn how to do stranded knitting.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern + don’t forget to pin and share!*
Baby Knitting Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items for baby and other members of your family or friends, please take a look at the other patterns in the hat pattern library.
There are also many hat patterns for baby in the baby knitting library.
Knitted Baby Hats
You can make most of them in a range of sizes, from 0-3 months and up.
The baby knitting section also has many patterns for booties, toys and more.
Knitting In The Round
I made the hat using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman (white) and knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars.
I knit this hat in the round on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
You could also knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
Knit Hat Patterns
I made the chunky beanie hat using two yarns – Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in Blossom (pink) for the accent colour and Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in fisherman (white) for the main colour.
The yarns are both super bulky weight 06, so any yarn in that weight category will be fine to use.
You can make this hat in any colour combination you like!
*This blog post contains affiliate links. You can read more here.*
Baby Hat Knitting Pattern
Make this sweet little baby hat with this easy to print out pattern, then come back and let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn - white - (LionBrand wool ease thick and quick in fisherman or something similar).
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn - pink (LionBrand wool ease thick and quick in blossom or something similar) - you don't need a full skein of this, just enough for the accent colour and the pom pom.
- Super bulky weight (06) – 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker - Clover 2 - 1/2 inch
Yarn A - White / Yarn B - Pink
- CO 34 sts in Yarn A - join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- K1, P1 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work measures 2 inches from the co edge
- Add 2 sts to the beginning of the next round.
- Round 1 - K2 Yarn A, K1 Yarn B
- Rounds 2-3 - Knit in Yarn A
- Round 4 - K2 Yarn A, K1 Yarn B
- Rep those 4 rounds until the hat measures 6.5"
- After the last accent round - K 1 round in Yarn A .
- K2tog to the last st, K1.
Cut a length of yarn and thread through the rem sts.
Pull up and secure.
Weave in any loose ends.
Add a pom in Yarn B to the top of the hat.
Size - 6-12 months
Measurements - Height w/o pom = 7 inches / Width (flat and unstretched) = 7.5 inches
Gauge – 6 stitches in 6 rows = 2 inches
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
PM - Place marker
M1 = Make 1 stitch
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo