This baby hat pattern is an easy way to work with two colours while making a sweet hat for baby.
Worked in the round, this hat is easy and fast to make, as it is knit with super bulky yarn.
An Easy Level Knitting Pattern
This is an easy pattern for those of you who are advanced beginner level, and the techniques you will need to know are knit, purl, k2tog and knitting in the round.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
If you have never knit in the round before you can watch my video tutorial here.
*Please scroll down to see the free pattern*
What Is Fair Isle Knitting?
Fair Isle knitting, which also known more accurately as stranded knitting, is a technique for working two (or more) colours of yarn in the same row.
The colour changes in Fair Isle are close together, as this allows you to simply carry the yarn you aren’t knitting with across the back of the piece as you go.
You will pick up each strand as you need it and this leaves a strand of yarn on the inside of the work.
More Knitted Baby Hats
You can make most of them in a range of sizes, from 0-3 months and up.
The baby knitting section also has many patterns for booties, toys and more.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner knitters.
- You should be comfortable casting on and casting off, as well as knitting in garter stitch.
- You should be comfortable working the purl stitch.
- You should be comfortable knitting in the round.
- You should also be comfortable reading knitting patterns.
- And understanding knitting abbreviations and terms.
Baby Hat Pattern
Skill Level – Easy
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Size – 6-12 months
Measurements – Height w/o pom = 7 inches / Width (flat and unstretched) = 7.5 inches
Gauge – 6 stitches in 6 rows = 2 inches
The Supplies You Need
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn (100g) – white – (LionBrand wool ease thick and quick in fisherman or something similar).
- 1 skein of super bulky yarn – pink (50g) (LionBrand wool ease thick and quick in blossom or something similar) – you don’t need a full skein of this, just enough for the accent colour and the pom pom.
- Super bulky weight (06) – 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- You may also need a set of 10mm (US 15) Double pointed needles for the decreases.
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom pom maker – Clover 2 – 1/2 inch
- Approx = Approximately
- Beg = Begin(ning)
- Cont = Continue(ing)
- K = Knit
- K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
- P – Purl
- PM – Place marker
- M1 = Make 1 stitch
- Rem = Remaining
- Rep = Repeat
- Rnd(s) = Round(s)
- St(s) = Stitch(es)
Yarn A – White / Yarn B – Pink
- CO 34 sts in Yarn A – join in the round and pm, being careful not to twist the sts.
- 1st round – K1, P1 to form ribbing
- Cont to knit in ribbing until work measures 2 inches from the co edge.
- Add 2 sts to the beginning of the next round.
- Round 1 – K2 Yarn A, K1 Yarn B – rep to the end of the round.
- Rounds 2-3 – Knit in Yarn A.
- Round 4 – K2 Yarn A, K1 Yarn B- rep to the end of the round.
- Rep those 4 rounds until the hat measures 6.5″.
- After the last accent round – K 1 round in Yarn A.
- K2tog to the last st, K1.
Cut a length of yarn and thread through the rem sts.
Pull up and secure.
Weave in any loose ends.
Add a pom pom in Yarn B to the top of the hat.
I love seeing your finished projects!
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo