In this post, you will see a knitted top pattern.
This light top is perfect for summer days.
Made from cotton in two different colors, it is super easy to knit with no shaping involved.
Knit A Summer Light Crop Top
The knitted top is really easy for beginner knitters.
It is knit in The Cotton from We Are Knitters in two colors.
Perfect to wear to the beach to throw on over your swimwear.
Shop the printable PDF pattern…
Scroll down to view the free pattern online or grab the inexpensive ad-free PDF in my shop here.
The stitches and techniques you need to know…
The stitches used in this pattern are the knit stitch, garter stitch, and drop stitch.
There is a repeat pattern over 6 rows that includes one row of dropped stitches.
The top is made by creating two pieces and stitching them together, there is no shaping, making it super easy and quick to knit.
You might also want to make matching items…
You may also want to make matching items to take with you on vacation!
View those patterns here:
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for beginners.
Knitted Top Pattern
The top is knit in two square pieces and then seamed together at the shoulders and sides, leaving openings for the armholes.
The top is knit in garter stitch and has a repeat row of dropped stitches.
This is a fast project with no shaping.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
Skill Level – Basic (Beginner)
12 sts in 21 rows in 10×10 cm/4×4 inches in the 6-row rep pattern.
- The sizes – S / M / L-XL / 1X / 2X / 3X / 4X / 5X
- Finished Bust About – 36 (38, 40, 42, 46, 48, 50, 54) in.
- Finished Length About – 25 inches.To make the top in a larger size, you can cast on more stitches x 6 -so for the next size up, you cast on 112, then 118, etc.
- You will also need to purchase more yarn if you are making the top in a larger size, than what is listed in the pattern.
- Please read the notes below on how to adjust the length of the top before you start.
Adjusting the length of your top…
The length measures around – 64 cm/25 inches.
The length of the 6 rows measures around – 5 cm/2 inches.
Adjust the length to make the top shorter…
- Reduce the number of rows you knit in each color.
- For example, instead of working the 6 rows 5 times more in each color, you could work those 6 rows 3 times more or 4 times more.
- Each time you minus the 6 rows you are taking off 5 cm/2 inches.
Adjust the length to make the top longer…
- To make it longer, add more rows to each color.
- For example, instead of working the 6 rows 5 times more in each color, you could work those 6 rows 6 times more or 7 times more, etc until you get your desired length.
- Each time you add a set of 6 rows you are adding a further 5 cm/2 inches.
The supplies you need…
- 2 (2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4) x We Are Knitters – The Cotton in the color Aquamarine.
- 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2) x We Are Knitters – The Cotton in the color Natural.
- This cotton is 100% Pima Cotton/10g/3.05oz/232 yds/212m.
- Use my code – MGM4VHHAT – for 10 off on your WAK yarn order.
- 6mm (US 10) knitting needles.
- I used interchangeable circulars on a 24″ cable to accommodate the number of stitches.
- This top is knit flat, not in the round.
You can grab a free list of US and UK knitting terms here.
- CO – cast on
- Cont – continue
- K – knit
- St(s) – stitch(es)
- Rep – repeat
Front and back…
This top is knit in two panels with no shaping.
- Knit one panel in Yarn A – Aquamarine
- Knit one panel in Yarn B – Natural
With Yarn A and 6mm (US 10) knitting needles cast on 63 (69, 75, 81) sts
- Rows 1-4: Knit
- Row 5: K1 (edge), *Insert the right-hand needle into the st on the left-hand needle as if to knit, then wind the yarn 2 times around the needle and K1, rep from * to last st, K1 (edge).
- Row 6: Knit each st, working into the 1st loop and allowing the 2 extra loops to slip off the needle to their full length.
The last 6 rows form the pattern.
Continue to rep the 6 rows above 5 times more in Yarn A.
Then change color to Yarn B and rep the 6 rows 5 times more.
Change color to Yarn A and rep the 6 rows 5 times more.
Rep Rows 1-4 once more casting off on row 4.
Notes on adjusting the length
The length measures around – 64 cm/25 inches.
Adjust the length to make the top shorter – reduce the number of rows you knit in each color.
To make it longer, add more rows to each color.
Sew in all loose ends (weave along the seams).
Place the wrong sides on top of each other.
Seam the shoulder seams
Seam each shoulder seam using the mattress stitch for 13 cm/5 inches or longer if you wish.
Seam the sides
Seam the white section (middle color block) side seams only = 15 cm/6 inches.
This will leave an opening for the armholes on either side and a large split on either side for the lower blue stripe section.