This crochet drawstring bag pattern is a great beginner-friendly pattern that is really easy!
With some basic crochet knowledge, you will be able to create a really pretty bag to wear during the summer months.
Made from raffia in a natural color, this bag can go with any outfit.
An Easy Level Crochet Pattern
This pattern is for anyone who is an advanced beginner.
The bag is a simple design, you create a circle base first then continue to single crochet.
Once the bag reaches the height you want, you stop and weave through a cord, which can be pulled together to close the bag.
The drawstring pulls the top of the bag closed and I tied it into a bow.
Alternatively, you could knot the ends or weave through two lengths of cord, pulling through to each end, so that you can pull the drawstrings closed in a more traditional way.
I also added a raffia tassel with beads and bits I found in a local craft store.
Crocheting With Raffia
I used raffia from King Cole in a natural color.
If you have never crocheted with raffia before, it is quite an easy material to work with.
However, you can use raffia alternatives as there are many around, like Ra Ra Raffia from Wool and the Gang.
There are also other gorgeous color choices from King Cole Raffia, including browns, greens, and reds.
Resources and tutorials you may find helpful in following this pattern:
This pattern is great for any advanced beginner.
Crochet Drawstring Bag Pattern
The pattern is written using US crochet terms and abbreviations.
- For the base – Do not turn at the end of the round, but continue working in a spiral, with the right side (RS) always facing.
- Keep count of the sts by placing a marker (PM) on the last st of each round.
- There are no turning chains in this pattern.
- Please do not copy, sell, redistribute or republish this pattern.
- If you wish to share this pattern, link to the pattern page only.
- You may sell items produced using this pattern.
- Do NOT use the copyrighted photos for your product listing.
- The drawstring bag measures – base diameter = 6 inches
- Height – 9.5 inches
- *You can adjust the number of sts you ch for the bag strap if you want to make it longer or shorter*
- Strap = 43 inches
- Tassel charm length = 12 inches
Gauge = 15 stitches, 19 rows to 10cm/4″
- Thread or cord for the tassel.
- Keyring clip x 1 for the tassel – 1.5 inch / ring – 1 inch
- Keyring clips x 2 for the bag chain – 1 inch
- Gold bag chain – 43 inches
- Pliers (for the keyring clips/bag chains)
- CH – Chain
- PM – Place marker
- SC – Single crochet
- SS – Slip stitch
- RS – Right side
Time needed: 6 hours and 30 minutes.
Crochet Drawstring Bag
- The Base Of The Bag
Make a 4 ch and join with an ss in the first ch to form a ring.
Round 1: (RS) – 1 ch; 8 sc in ring (8 sts) PM (see notes)
Round 2: 2 sc in each sc (16 sts)
Round 3: *1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to end. (24 sts)
Round 4: 1 sc in each sc
Round 5: *1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to end. (36 sts)
Round 6: 1 sc in each sc
Round 7: *1 sc in each of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to end. (48 sts)
Round 8: 1 sc in each sc
Round 9: *1 sc in each of next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc* rep from * to end. (60 sts)
Round 10: 1 sc in each sc
Round 11 – sc all the sts into the back loop only
- The Body Of The Bag
*Please note – keep the marker to denote which is the beginning/end of the round.
Continue to work in a spiral – sc all of the sts in every round (in both loops) – until the bag measures = 9.5 inches (rounds worked- 30)
You can make the bag as tall as you want.
- Finish The Bag
Finish the last st with an ss and cut the yarn.
Secure and weave in the ends.
Weave in all other loose ends.
- The Drawstring Cord
With the cord (around 1 meter) weave through the bag leaving 3 sts (or holes) between stitches.
About 1.5 inches or 2 inches below the top of the bag.
Pull together and tie in a bow to close the bag.
- Adding The Chain Strap
Add the bag clips and chain to each side of the bag, the raffia is strong, so they will not pull the side of the bag out of shape.
You may need to use pliers to open the clasp on the key ring clip to attach the bag chain.
You can also add a bag charm – if you wish, made from beads and a raffia tassel.
You can see how to make a tassel in this tutorial here.