This easy mittens knitting pattern is an excellent project for anyone who is learning how to knit.
I wanted to share with you an easy mitts pattern, that you can make in around 3 hours.
The mittens are perfect for the colder weather, as they have been knit with super bulky yarn (06), in one of my favourite colours – fisherman (Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick).
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
*Don’t forget to pin and share!*
The mittens are easy to make, with beginner knitters in mind.
Using knit and purl stitches, you will create ribbing, for the cuff, learn to knit in the round and it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
This pair of mittens will be super cosy to wear in the cold weather.
Super Chunky Knit Mittens
I made the mittens using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in fisherman (yarn weight – super bulky 06).
I knit them on size 10 mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
If you are new to using circulars, once you get used to them, they soon become your favourites to work on.
The Knitting Basics
The mittens use basic knitting stitches – knit and purl, to create 1×1 ribbing for the cuffs of the mittens.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases for the top of the mittens and for the thumb.
To make these mittens you will need to know the following:
Free Mittens Knitting Pattern
The knitted mittens are awesome for cold winter days walking through the park and stopping off for a tea or hot chocolate at your favourite cafe.
Wherever you want to wear the mitts, they will be sure to keep you warm and toasty, protecting your hands from the cold winds and snow showers.
Snow Mountain Mittens
You may also be interested in this free knitting pattern for the snow mountain mittens – which is a similar design, using two yarns.
Inspired by a trip to Metsovo in Greece, with stunning snow capped mountains, these mittens will keep you warm in the cold weather for sure!
Free Knitting Patterns
If you would like to make more knitted items for women, please take a look at the other patterns in the women’s knitting pattern library.
There are also many hat patterns for women, men, baby and kids in the hat pattern library.
Beanie Hat Pattern | The Aphrodite
Make a cosy soft beanie with this easy free knitting pattern.Continue Reading
The Chloe Hat Knitting Pattern
Make a huge snow beanie with this easy free knitting pattern.Continue Reading
The Sofia Hat Knitting Pattern
Make a chunky hat with this easy free knitting pattern.Continue Reading
Easy Mittens Knitting Pattern For Beginners
Make this easy pair of chunky knitted mittens with an easy to print out pattern below, then come back and let me know what you think in the comments or leave a review!
- 1 skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Fisherman.
- Super bulky weight (06)– 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Stitch holder
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- With 10mm (US 15) 16" circular knitting needles CO 18sts
- Pm and Join in the round - being careful not to twist sts.
- K1, P1 rib for 2"
- *K8, M1, K1* - rep from * to * one more time (2 sts increased).
- K 3 rounds.
- K9, pm, M1, K1, M1, pm, K10 (2 sts increased).
- K9, M1, K3, M1, K10
- K9, M1, K5, M1, K10
- K9, remove the marker and place 7sts onto a stitch holder.
- Remove next marker.
- Co 1 st and K 10.
- Knit 12 rounds
- K2tog, K6, K2tog, K2tog, K6, K2tog
- *K2tog, K4, K2tog*, rep from * to *
- *K2tog, K2, K2tog*, rep from * to *
- Cut yarn and leave a long tail - about 8/9 inches, weave that tail through the rem sts and pull up tight at the top of the mitten.
- Secure and weave in any loose ends.
- Place the 7sts on the stitch holder onto the needles.
- Pick up and knit 1 st from the CO edge.
- Place a stitch marker under the picked up stitch to mark the beg of the round.
- Knit 8 rounds.
- *K2tog* to end of round.
- Cut a tail of yarn and weave through the rem sts and pull up tight to close.
- Secure and weave in any loose ends.
- Turn the mitten inside out and use the yarn from near the picked up stitch to close the gap near to the base of the thumb.
- Weave in any other loose ends.
- Repeat the pattern for the second mitten.
Size - Women's medium
Finished measurements - laying flat and unstretched = 8 inches circumference / 10 inches length including the cuff.
Gauge - 8 sts and 8 rounds in 2 inches stockinette stitch.
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
CO - Cast on
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
M1 - Make one stitch
P – Purl
PM - Place marker
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Lion 640-099 Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn , 97 Meters, Fisherman
Knitter's Pride-Dreamz Fixed Circular Needles 16"-Size 15/10mm
Shappy Yarn Stitch Holder Set Crochet Knitting Needle Stitch Holders Aluminum Safety Pins, 5 Sizes, Assorted Colors (10 Pieces)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the mittens, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo