Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
This chunky hygge men’s hat knitting pattern is a relatively easy pattern and can introduce you to working with two yarns.
The knitted beanie hat would also make a great gift and knits up quick!
This hat would take you around an hour or two to make (depending on how fast you knit) and will be a stylish addition to any winter wardrobe.
I wanted to make and share a men’s hat pattern that is really easy for any beginner knitters, this pattern uses basic techniques, including; knit and purl stitches.
I made the hat using YarnArt Alpine Alpaca in 436 grey and 433 white.
Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use – or any yarn that can be knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles.
I knit this hat on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
Men’s Slouchy Beanie Hat Pattern
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to stranding – adding in a different colour and shaping through simple decreases.
Men’s Hat Pattern
This easy hat knitting pattern is great for any beginners who are learning how to knit, as it is a great project for learning the basic knitting stitches.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for men, please take a look at the other patterns in the men’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free pdf version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 6 of the men’s knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
- 1 ball of chunky yarn (in dark grey – I used YarnArt Alpine Alpaca in 436 grey and 433 white) and 1 ball or a scrap of white suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A – Dark grey / Yarn B – White
- Cast on > 44 sts in Yarn A
- 1st rnd: K2, P2 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 3″.
- Next row: knit
- Next row: (Add in Yarn B) Then – Knit 2 Yarn A, Knit 1 Yarn B
- Next: Knit 2 rows Yarn A
- These two rows form the pattern – continue until the hat measures 10″ from cast on edge.
- Decrease ->
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit.
- 5th rnd: K2tog – all remaining sts
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom and securely fasten to the top of the hat.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.