This simple men’s striped hat knitting pattern is an excellent beginner project.
Using mainly knit and purl stitches, it will also introduce you to decreasing and shaping.
The basic beanie shape is enhanced with stripes and topped with a fluffy pom.
I wanted to make and share a men’s hat pattern that is really easy for any beginner knitters, this pattern uses basic techniques, including; knit and purl stitches.
*Please scroll down to see the printable pattern*
I made the hat using YarnArt Alpine Alpaca which is suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circular needles.
Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use – or any yarn that can be knit on size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
I knit this hat on circular needles, so there was no seaming involved, just a few loose ends to sew in at the end.
Men’s Hat Pattern
The hat pattern is easy to follow, knitting in the round on circular needles, you could knit this hat on DPN’s if it is your preference.
The hat uses basic stitches – knit and purl, to knit ribbing and then for the main body of the hat.
If you are a beginner it will also introduce you to shaping through simple decreases.
Men’s Striped Hat Pattern
You can even experiment and personalise the hat by adding embroidered initials or adding stripes in favourite colours.
The hat size can also be adapted if you want to make it smaller or larger, just measure the circumference of the recipients head and adjust the number of stitches you cast on.
If you would like to make more knitted items for men, please
take a look at the other patterns in the men’s knitting pattern library.
You can scroll down to see the free pattern below or you may choose to purchase the printable ad-free PDF version from my shop.
There is also a pattern bundle for sale featuring 6 of the men’s knitting patterns which is great value.
Thank you for your support!
Some articles on handylittleme.com may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my disclosure policy.
- 3 balls of super bulky yarn (in dark grey, light grey and white – I used YarnArt Alpine Alpaca in 436, 433 and Alpine 334) suitable for size 10.00mm (US 15) needles.
- Lion Brand wool ease thick and quick or something similar would also be fine to use.
- Super bulky weight – 106 yards.
- Scrap yarns can be used, as you do not need a full ball for each colour.
- However, whichever colour you make the pom in will need to have more yarn available.
- Set of 10.00mm (US 15) 16″ circulars
- Stitch markers
- Darning needle
- Tape measure
- Pom maker
Yarn A = Dark Grey / Yarn B = Light Grey / Yarn C = White
- Cast on > 42 sts in Yarn A
- 1st rnd: K1, P1 to form rib
- Knit in rib until work from beg measures 2″.
- Continue to knit every stitch in Yarn A until it measures 3.5″ from the cast on edge.
- Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn B then knit every round until that colour block measures 3″.
- Next row: Change yarn colour to Yarn C and knit that colour block for 1″.
- Shape top: 1st rnd: *K1. K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 2nd rnd: Knit.
- 3rd rnd: *K1, K2tog. Rep from * around.
- 4th rnd: Knit
- 5th rnd: K2tog, till last stitch K1.
- Break yarn. Draw end through rem sts and fasten securely.
- Sew in any loose ends.
- Make a pom pom and stitch it securely onto the top of the hat in a coordinating colour.
Gauge – 5 stitches = 2″
Approx = Approximately
Beg = Begin(ning)
Cont = Continue(ing)
K = Knit
K2tog = Knit next 2 stitches together
P – Purl
Rem = Remaining
Rep = Repeat
Rnd(s) = Round(s)
St(s) = Stitch(es)
Knitter's Pride-Dreamz Fixed Circular Needles 16"-Size 15/10mm
Men's Hat Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
The Ultimate Knitting Pattern Bundle | Handy Little Me
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you enjoyed making the hat, I’d love to see yours on Instagram, be sure to tag me @handylittleme.
If you are on Facebook, stop over to the handylittleme Facebook page and share a photo! I’d love to see your work!
Happy Knitting! xoxo